Building a career in DevSecOps involves a combination of technical skills, knowledge of security practices, and experience working in a DevOps environment. Here are some steps you can take to build a career in DevSecOps:
- Gain technical skills: Start by building a strong foundation in software development and DevOps tools and practices. This includes knowledge of programming languages such as Python, Java, and Ruby, as well as experience with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, and Ansible. You should also be familiar with containerization and container orchestration tools like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Learn about security practices: To be successful in DevSecOps, you need a solid understanding of security principles and practices. You should be familiar with common security vulnerabilities, threat modeling, secure coding practices, and security testing methodologies.
- Pursue relevant certifications: There are a number of certifications that can help you demonstrate your expertise in DevSecOps, including the Certified DevSecOps Professional (CDP) and the DevOps Institute’s DevSecOps Engineering (DSOE) certification.
- Gain practical experience: Seek out opportunities to gain practical experience in a DevSecOps environment. This could include working on open source projects, participating in hackathons, or contributing to DevSecOps-related communities.
- Build a portfolio: Create a portfolio of your work to demonstrate your skills and experience to potential employers. This could include code samples, projects you’ve worked on, or contributions to open source projects.
- Network: Build a professional network by attending industry events, participating in online communities, and connecting with other DevSecOps professionals. This can help you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and job opportunities in the field.
- Look for job opportunities: DevSecOps roles are becoming increasingly common, particularly in large organizations with complex software systems. Look for job opportunities that match your skills and experience, and be prepared to showcase your DevSecOps expertise in your resume and cover letter.
In summary, building a career in DevSecOps requires a combination of technical skills, knowledge of security practices, and practical experience. By gaining relevant certifications, building a portfolio, networking, and seeking out job opportunities, you can position yourself as a skilled and knowledgeable DevSecOps professional.